Oscars Wrap Up ~ Retro on the Red Carpet - fashion for faith in four colors

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Oscars Wrap Up ~ Retro on the Red Carpet

As I said before, my feelings on the Oscars this year were utterly ambivalent. There were a few Retro Looks, however, that I thought were OK. Here they are . . .


I actually really liked this dress. It is sheer done in the right way. It has a kind of old Hollywood glamor meets 1970s. I like the green and black, and some sparkle but not too much. It fits her beautifully, the design is body flattering, and she's nicely covered up. I even like her makeup.

But Girl, that hair!

I'm someone who loves candy-colored funky as much as the next goth chick, but this is not a good color ~ especially not with the green of the dress. Nor is a good style. If you must do a color with this dress, a nice vibrant purple, and put it all the way up like a real adult, not a child playing with her mother's bobby pins.


I love love love this dress, particularly with the skinny belt. I picture 1930s summers on the Italian Riviera. It's meant to go with a big straw hat, flat sandals, a raffia beach tote, and the smell of lemoncello spiked grenadas, Possibly it might be swanked up for an outside tea party. But for an Oscar event? Even an Oscars after party? I don't think so. But I still love it. In fact, I want it. Gimmie!!!!


Queen Dita looking like her usual refined retro self. I like this dress, and she wears it beautifully, but I want to love it. Why couldn't it be a vibrant pea green? Or periwinkle blue? It'd be so much better.


Speaking of green . . . I admit the forest is a little dated looking, but it's a good choice for the red carpet. And look at this woman. Just look at her! 65 years old? She is amazing. She looks about a million times better than the model who's probably 1/3 her age. And how sexy is she, yet almost completely covered up? That is how it is done. I don't love her hair, but hot flippin damn she looks good.


Again a little 1970's retro, but I adore this black dress. A safe choice, but the cut outs are chic, and it's elegant and sexy ~ rather than just sexy. It couldn't be worn by those of us with a Rack, but that doesn't stop me from admiring it.


My hands down winner for best dressed. A curvy girl in form fitting white? With sparkles on it? Hell yes! She's covered up, and you know she's got some serious foundation garments going on under there, yet she looks fan-flipping-tastic. Her jewelry is understated yet elegant. Her hair is up and off her face, as it should be. Her makeup is impeccably subtle. This woman is a goddess. Nuff said.

Share with your friends

Give us your opinion