Spring 2012 Fashion Trends #2 ~ Leather - fashion for faith in four colors

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring 2012 Fashion Trends #2 ~ Leather


I love leather, Fashionable Reader. I may have an unreasoning love of leather. I know there are many out there in interweb-land offended by this. There is an old saying about being a meat eater, "I didn't work my way to the top of the food chain for nothing." My version of that would go something like, "I worked my way to the top of the food chain so I could wear cow on my feet." For in actual fact, I don't eat much red meat. Boy do I love to wear it, though.


So most of my leather is shoes. I'd say 95% of my collection is leather. I put my poor feet through a lot ~ sky rocketing heals and platforms, crazy straps and shapes ~ the least I can do is wrap them in something that breaks to the shape of my foot and breathes properly. That said, I have a few other leather items ~ the odd motorcycle jacket, a blue pencil skirt from the 80s I can't bare to part with (it has pockets, people, pockets!), and, of course, the odd purse and belt.

Vintage 1930's evening purse leather with embossed decoration.

But this isn't the time for me to confess my leather hording sins. This is the time for me to point out that this leather trend I've been seeing all over the runways can be done in a delightfully retro manner. In fact, what the runways were lousy with for both fall and spring were little leather dresses cut to be very ladylike indeed, rather than the normal ultra tough and sexy look (not that that isn't nice on occasion). I adored them and I can't wait for them to trickle down to the high street and bargain bins.

Cushnie-et-Ochs
Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti & Reem-Acra

Or, here is one with just leather detailing.

Narciso Rodriguez

Or how about the ultimate LBD in  . . . leather?

ICB by Prabal Gurung

Not feeling up for an entire outfit of leather? There were some nice tops as well. Or you can always do like I do, and go with a skirt.



So here are a few retro ways to rock the leather.



The most classic of classics.


My personal favorite of all the offerings.


And here are a few modern takes.



Lastly, for my own amusement (although I hope you like it), I've styled my 80s leather pencil skirt two ways, for day slightly Retro and for evening a bit Modern. I've been using the Stylebook App, which I like very much. (I'm waiting for the next update before i do a formal review.) FYI: Also I just joined Pose. If you use it too, please feel free to follow me. 

 H&M lace jacket, Max Studio black & white sweater, amber or lapiz necklace, blue leather skirt, Via Spiga peeps, Target red patent belt.

Rock Republic shirt, steampunk-ish blazer, vintage bag, black tights, Via Spiga red sandals, mod cloth pouch necklace.

Share with your friends

Give us your opinion