Spring 2012 Fashion Trends #3 ~ Prints - fashion for faith in four colors

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spring 2012 Fashion Trends #3 ~ Prints


One of the things to do for Spring 2012 is to mix prints. I'm not quite able to get behind this particular branch of the trend. (Although I might try it while in England just to be experimental.) Perhaps it reminds me of the 80s too much. Perhaps it is the fact that you need to buy prints in the same color family to pull this off well and I just don't invest in prints that often. However, I am getting rather taken with all the pretty flower prints I'm seeing everywhere.


So my thought on flower prints is to pick one statement print you really like and roll with it. Something light with clear colors for spring. If you don't want to bee too gilry there are some pretty cool abstract and stylized pieces out there.

This skirt has a peplum too, very on trend. I tend to be wary of overly bold prints, like the one above because (particularly with The Rack) I want to be careful about how the prints cover, point out, and emphasize body parts.


Here's a relatively subtle one. I like bolder prints if they lean a little Asian, as the one above does, or decidedly retro, which the smaller prints will do.


Here are some lovely retro ways to wear this season's prints.


Left is a funky street retro 60s look; right is the lovely Tuppence Ha'penny by Charlotte

 Here are some of my favorites from Spring 2012.



And here are some blasts from the past . . .

 1922 Wiener Werkstätte The Metropolitan Museum of Art & Emilio Pucci, 1970s  1stdibs.com

mark shaw model in studio of marc chagall (1950s?)

Recently spotted in magazine, awfully familiar looking, no?

Don't want to do your print as a full dress? There are some great ways to accessorize with print these days. Also I do love the partial print, jsut at the hem or neckline. Like an embellishment they will act to draw attention to a particular area.



Or you could accessorize with cake!


And, of course, I could let you go without choosing something for one of my characters to wear. Here we have a gown for Sophronia, the main character in the Finishing School books.

1850 Dressing Gown The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Share with your friends

Give us your opinion